Strathcona Centre Activities
Strathcona Centre hosts a number of workshops throughout the year!
On May 27th (10 am to 4 pm) and May 28th (9 am to 3 pm) join us for the Brazeau Reservoir Archaeological Survey. The Brazeau Reservoir is about 45 m south of Drayton Valley, on Hwy 620.
- Arrive Saturday morning. Madeline and Amandah will give a brief overview of the site and archaeology in the area, and discuss the safety stuffs for the project.
- We will split into two main groups (A and B), and travel to site by boat or on foot.
- Saturday, Group A will begin surface inspections at the site for the morning, Group B will start the shovel tests
- Sunday, Group B will complete the shovel tests, and Group A will complete the surface inspections.
- This is supposed to be a relaxed and enjoyable way to learn archaeology if you have never done it before! If you want a break, or wish to only stay for part of a day, that's ok!
To register or to find out more information contact: (email@example.com)
Chimney Coulee Volunteers
Come and excavate Metis wintering cabins at Chimney Coulee, Saskatchewan!
When: August 8-September 1, 2017
Where: Chimney Coulee Historic Site, 10 min north of Eastend, SK
The Chimney Coulee site has a rich archaeological record from the 19th century. Three different occupations occurred at this site between 1860-1890: a Metis wintering camp, a longhouse built by Issac Cowie and his crew, and a short-lived Northwest Mounted Police post. This summer, the EMITA (Exploring Metis Identity Through Archaeology) project will be excavating Metis wintering cabins at this important site. We are looking for volunteers to help with excavation, screening, mapping, and survey during the month of August. Experience preferred but not required. There are places to stay in nearby Eastend, including camping and hotel accommodation. Lunch and necessary equipment will be provided for all participants. All are welcome!